Friday 18 September 2015

Homemade sushi (no fish)

I made sushi today. I bought a kit from Blue Dragon that had most of the stuff you need, sushi rice ("boil in bag"), a little wasabi, a little soy sauce, sushi vinegar ("Sushi Su"), a bamboo mat for rolling and nori sheets. Then I bought miso-soup that you just mix with hot water.

But I didn't use any fish or other meat. I don’t know how to prepare that. I've heard that you can buy prepared, cut up pieces of sushi fish in the charcuterie in the store if you ask for it. I might do that sometime. I am not quite confident in preparing raw sushi fish myself, I think that needs to be done by an expert. But, I do like sushi without any meat at all as well.

I only used vegetables. Cucumber, carrot and avocado. I would like to do the "sauce" that you get in some rolls. I like them the most, but I forgot to look up a recipe and buy the ingredients for that. I think it is only mayonnaise and leek, maybe something more. Not quite sure. But the ones I did with just the vegetables was really successful anyway.

I did not know that sushi rice had a special rice vinegar in it. I think it is called "Sushi Su". I got the rice in special "boil-in-bags". They were very practical, because no rice got stuck in the pan after. Making it easier to clean.

....I looked at Blue Dragon's website. And notice that they have "boil in bag" sushi rice that you can buy. It was very convenient. Even if they were prepared in bags, I did wash the rice thoroughly before boiling it.

I also got good use of my fine bowls I bought in Japan :)

I especially like the little kitten bowls for wasabi and/or soy sauce.

I thought it was going to be difficult to roll these. But it was actually quite easy.
I always have it so difficult to roll other things, like when making cinnamon buns or other rolled things. I tried making candy canes once, it was extremely difficult. But rolling sushi, I think they are called California rolls was surprisingly easy.

But now I will eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment