Saturday 26 September 2015

Today turned into a pretty good day

My mother came to visit. She helped me to buy special socks for my feet. For the water that is in my feet. It helps to press up the water. Or something like that. Or block the water not to get down in my feet maybe.

I made some good food. It was successful food this time. Potatoes with fish and my favourite egg sauce. Just plain white sauce with pieces of boiled eggs in it. I used some of the water from the boiled fish. And that was good.

I put up the whiteboard and cluttered some circuit on it. A non-inverting amplifier... I don't know if I got the calculations right. On such a simple and basic thing. I should be able to calculate any strange opamp connection.

I felt that my brain had forgotten alot or that old math. Wasn't a circuit with feedback on the negative input supposed to be inverting? I have forgotten. But that is not a big deal. You'll just look it up in a formula collection or use google,  like all other engineers do all the time..

I don't like learning things in a way so that you know it inside out. I want to understand things on a deeper level. So that when you connect an opamp in this way, I can figure it out what it does. I can look at the circuit and see  "oh, current will go this way and that way resulting in this equation and then the basic function of the opamp would make this result".... Instead of "I recognize this circuit, I know what it does but I don't know why". I hope you know what I mean.

Some people in school studied just the things you needed to beat the tests. They asked the teachers "what do we need to know, what pages in the book do we need to read" Things like that.. I hated that. I wanted to read the entire book. I wanted to get a completely random problem in my test, and then being able to solve it by understanding how to use my knowledge that I have studied. That is much more fun I think.

And I  can  get it wrong. It is not a big deal. But this circuit is so basic. It is so simple. But when you never use the knowledge, it slowly dissipates. That is boring. I would like to do a little bit of the math everyday to keep it alive.
My teacher in math once said. Put the the calculator away. And don't use it to calculate things like 8 * 17 or 53 / 4. Do it on the paper or in your head. An answer that is a fraction is OK. You don't have to answer in lots of decimals like 3.473636.

But just using your head to do the simple math, it activates and makes your brain work  in the parts in your brain that does math, and it will help you when you do integrals and laplace transforms and linear algebra etc etc. I did that. And I think it it works.

And I got a game in the mail in mint condition. Gyruss.. But now I want to do other things. So here are random pictures from the day.

Food, potatoes. Fish and egg sauce.
The new white board.. Where I notice the mistake I did. Vin is supposed to be connected to the positive input on the opamp ofcourse. Then it would be a non-inverting amp.
Gyruss for NES  in a protective plastic case
It was in better condition than I expected it to be :) Completely new.
The protective plastic case.
Gyruss before the original plastic was removed.
Seems like my orchids are getting flowers. They have not had flowers in a long time.
Fish in slowly boiling water. I don't fill up the water over the fish. Just some in the bottom, with different spices in it. Bay leaf and pepper.
Egg sauce, yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment